Friday, December 3, 2010

Sneak Peek

Yesterday morning, I took Charlie and Chase to the mall. We went right at 9a so we could have the play area all to ourselves. I also wanted to go to the mall so the boys could get a sneak peek at Santa Claus.

As we all know, the last two visits with Santa have been rough. The first year, Charlie was a bit unsure of this strange, bearded man. At first, he sat calmly on his lap and I begged the photographers to take the picture immediately. Of course, the camera wasn't working when we needed it to. By the time they got the camera working, Charlie had figured out that he was sitting on the lap of a very strange man and he lost it. The picture perfectly captures the terror in poor Charlie's eyes. (I will try to dig the picture up and post it on the blog later.)

Last year, Chase was too young to know any better, but Charlie was terrified, again. He must have conjured up visions of his first visit with Santa because this time, he knew not to go anywhere near the man. Mike and I had to drag him over to Santa, literally kicking and screaming. Again, another classic photo of a terrified two-year-old and a reluctant Santa.

But this year should be different... or so I thought. Charlie loves Santa. He loves reading about him. He loves looking at pictures of him. He loves singing about him. He loves Christmas. He has even told me that Santa Claus is a really nice man. I thought that maybe, just maybe, we'd be able to get a good picture of Charlie and Santa this year.

Well, after yesterday, I've changed my mind. Yes, Charlie is fascinated with Santa, but he is not at all interested in meeting him. In fact, he flatly refuses. As you'll see in the pictures below, he's willing to sit in a stroller somewhat near Santa Claus, but at first, he did not even want to look at Santa. Actually, Charlie much preferred to be on the second floor of the mall, looking down at Santa, as far away from him as possible.

So, as you can see, I am not expecting a pleasant experience when we take Charlie and Chase to meet Santa Claus face to face. Truthfully, I think it's gonna be a double whammy, because I don't think Chase is gonna find the experience very amusing, either. Looks like we're going to have another photo of two terror-stricken kids and one poor Santa Claus.

I bet Santa wonders why us parents put our kids through this...

Oh, and to top the morning off, Charlie jumped off of one of the play structures and bit his tongue. Blood was oozing from his mouth. All of the other parents were glaring at me. I whisked Charlie outta there as fast as I could. Merry Christmas!

Chase drooling - er, uh - playing in the play area.

Charlie, happy. Pre-tongue biting.




This is us sitting outside of Santa's area before his arrival. I am hyping Charlie up... getting him  exciting about seeing Santa Claus.

This is Charlie as Santa is arriving. Charlie is checking him out. (I was not allowed to take pictures of Santa, of course.)

And this is Charlie looking AWAY from Santa and thinking, "if I don't look at him, maybe he'll go away."

And this is us from the second floor of the mall looking down at Santa. Ahh. Much better.

Still here. Still checking him out... from a distance. Oy vey.


No comments:

Post a Comment