Wednesday, September 8, 2010

And so it begins...


Today was the big day.  My sweet, wonderful, first-born Charlie started preschool today.  I still can't believe it.  My, how time flies.

For his part, Charlie was very excited about today.  As soon as he woke up this morning, he wanted to change clothes right away so he could go to school.  Then, for the next hour-and-a-half, school was all he talked about.  And as you know, Charlie is VERY patient, so he sat quietly while I finished gathering everything for class.  NOT!  Just picture Charlie saying "GO TO SCHOOL!  GO TO SCHOOL!" over and over again.  That's more like it.

Anyway, we finally loaded up Mama's bus and headed to StoneBridge.  Fortunately, we were 10 minutes early.  Unfortunately, we were 10 minutes early.  Hmmm... what to do with a very eager, very patient (sarcasm galore here) little boy on his first day of school.  Thankfully, StoneBridge has a nice area just outside with picnic tables, rocks and a small waterfall.  Hallelujah, indeed!  Thank you, StoneBridge.  You saved us!

As kids gathered outside the front door, Charlie decided it was time for us to do the same.  He did not, however, understand that just because he DEMANDED that they open the doors, they were not going to do so until they were good and ready.  Charlie also did not see the stares of the other mothers as my child pitched a fit at the front door.  Oh well.  We've all been there at one time or another, right?

Finally, after Charlie had pushed his way through the crowd and right up to the front door, by the grace of God, the StoneBridge staff opened the doors.  Please understand that I am not in anyway exaggerating when I tell you this next part.  Charlie literally burst through the door as fast as he could, not worrying about me or Mike (who were way in the back of the crowd), and not worrying about the other little boys and girls waiting patiently beside him.  He was going to be first in, no matter what!

Luckily, Charlie remembered exactly where his classroom was (which just happens to be right by the door), so he quickly left us behind, headed to his room, right to the corner where the cars and trains are kept.  It's ok, Charlie.  You go on ahead.  Don't worry about us!

Anyhoo, Mike and I finally made our way into his classroom, thankful that Charlie, (a.k.a., "The Flash") was, indeed, there.  He was already having a blast.  We were able to convince him to hang his backpack up (he thought that was cool) and put his "fish" in the "fishbowl" (also cool).  And after a few minutes, it was time for us to go.

I could hear the cries of the other kids beginning.  Some kids were just whimpering.  Others were inconsolable.  I turned to Charlie and he was still very busy with his cars and trains.  He didn't even care if we stayed or left.  In fact, I think he thought we were already gone.  I knew it was time to say our official goodbyes.  Mike gave him hugs and "kikis" first.  Then I got my hug and "kiki."  Then, I started my "first day" speech.

ME: "You're going to have so much fun today, Charlie.  You're going to meet new friends, play with new toys and..."

CHARLIE: "Mama, go."

What?  "Mama, go."  Again?  Didn't we do this at Dinosaur Camp?  Can't I get a little bit of something? Anything?  An "I love you."  An "I'll miss you."  I'd even take "See you later."  No.  I get "Mama, go."  Am I doing something wrong?  What the heck.

Or maybe I'm doing something right.  Maybe my sweet, wonderful Charlie is growing up.  Maybe he's becoming independent.  Maybe he has a lot of self confidence already.  Maybe he knows I'll be back to pick him up soon, but in the meantime, he has this cool room to explore and these great new people to meet.

So, maybe I'm actually doing something right.  That's what I'm going to choose to believe anyway.

Here are pictures from Charlie's first day of school.  As predicted, he had an absolute blast.  On the way home (and all afternoon) he kept saying "Go to school again."  Needless to say, I am so proud of him.



For those of you that know Charlie well, this is his "ARGH!  NO MORE PICTURES!" look.



That's Charlie's school in the background.



Charlie was so ready for them to open the doors.  He literally left us hanging at the back of the line.


Checking in.  Putting his "fish" in the "fishbowl."


Hanging up his backpack...




Checking the wheels on all cars for proper alignment...


And this is where he was when we left him - playing with a toy in the corner of the room, totally oblivious to the screaming children around him.

As you can see, Charlie was the "special helper" today.  He helped his teachers when they asked (hopefully) and he got to be the leader in class.  I asked him if he loved being the special helper today and his response was "Hmmm..."  I guess that's good.  Who knows. 



1 comment:

  1. Yay Charlie! And yes, Kellye - you are doing a fabulous job! The best thing you can hope for is a child who is so secure with his parent's love that he knows he can be anywhere and not feel afraid because they will be there for him when he needs them.

    ReplyDelete