Wednesday, September 22, 2010

Catching Up

It's been awhile since I've had time and energy to blog.  With school starting, NASCAR entering its "Chase" and grandparents visiting, it's been a busy couple of weeks.  Here's a quick update of what's been going on in the Arning household:

  • Charlie's vocabulary is getting better and better.  In fact, he often says things that make me wonder where he could have possibly heard them.  He's also very good at putting sentences together.  The only problem is it's still hard to understand him.  I end up being his translator half of the time.  When we tell him he needs to work on his "enunciation," he manages to say the word "enunciation" flawlessly.  Go figure.
  • Chase is getting bigger by the day.  I look at him and marvel at how much he's grown and how quickly it's all gone by.  He not only walks now, but he's quick - practically running.  He's got a great sense of humor and this deep, throaty, husky laugh that's infectious.  But best of all, he has the most gorgeous smile with big, beautiful teeth.  He is definitely a looker.
  • Charlie absolutely adores school.  He loves his teachers, Mrs. Yascur and Mrs. Mundy (or "Mrs. Mumby" as he calls her) and talks about them all the time.  When I drop him off at school, he gets this big, goofy grin and acts shy when he sees his teachers.  He loves to get hugs from them.  He has no problem being left at school for a couple of hours and it's obvious that's he thriving in the environment.  I love picking him up at school because he gets a big goofy grin for me when he sees my car.  It makes my heart skip a beat.
  • Chase is a very picky eater, but he's getting a little bit better, day by day.  To this point, he's only wanted to eat food that he can pick up with his fingers, so all of that homemade baby food that I made in the food processor?  Useless.  His favorite food is any type of cracker or carb, so he obviously takes after his mother.  Until recently, he's not allowed us to feed him anything from a spoon.  The past couple of days he's been open to eating yogurt and applesauce, but only in small quantities.  I think he'll be much happier when he can feed himself with a spoon.  It's so obvious that he wants to grow up fast.  He wants to do everything his big brother does.  I just wish he'd slow down just a little bit.
  • Charlie is a very sweet little boy.  He loves his dog, Shelby.  He loves his stuffed animal, George. He loves his brother.  He has started trying to feed Chase a bottle which sometimes Chase likes and sometimes he doesn't.  Charlie also likes to give him brother kisses out of the blue and he likes to pat him on the head.  He also loves to pet and snuggle with Shelby.  But best of all, this morning, I was still lying in bed when Mike got up with Charlie.  Charlie peeked his head in my bedroom and, with a big smile on his face, said, "Mama!"  I said, "Hi Charlie!"  Then Charlie said, "I love you, Mama."  I literally almost burst into tears.
  • Chase is going to be one in less than two weeks.  I can't believe it.  My baby is going to be one - officially a toddler.  It feels like just yesterday when I brought him home from the hospital.  He was so little and helpless and such a beautiful baby with gorgeous jet black hair.  Now he's huge, independent, and such a handsome little boy with light brown hair and blond highlights.  Where did the year go?  Thank goodness I kept a journal of Chase's first year, because honestly, it's been a blur.  
  • And in parental news, Mike is as busy as ever, traveling and working hard, long, tireless, thankless hours so that we can all have this amazing life.  Me?  I'm just trying to soak it all in.  I did hurt my back thanks to carrying around two boys over three years (namely Chase this year - he's a beast!)  I have a herniated disc in my upper spine which is causing me great pain in my neck and shoulder and dull, shooting pain with numbness in my left arm.  I fear that I will have to see an orthopedic surgeon in the near future for an MRI to determine the extent of the injury.  I guess knowing how good/bad it is, is better than not knowing and injuring it further.  The next time I have a healthy back, I'm going to try to remember the feeling and not take it for granted.  None of us should take our health for granted, but more often than not, we all do.  We are all very lucky and blessed.
So, you've caught up with the Arnings.  The next couple of weeks are going to be even busier than the last, so I'm just going to try to take a breath, slow down and soak it all in.  This is a crazy life, but I love it.  I love being surrounded by all of these cute, energetic, sweet, amazing boys.  What more could a girl want?

Look who's drinking from a cup!

He likes to carry his cup with his giant teeth.



Sweet Shelby

Charlie... with truck, of course



Charlie likes to push the stroller for some reason.  The helmet is a big deal.  He hasn't wanted to wear a helmet the entire summer.  He'll be on the big wheel before you know it!

Doesn't he look like a 2-year-old?

Chase loves Dada too!

Charlie, pushing his car.  This was at our neighborhood block party on Saturday.



Chase with my friend, Lyndsey and baby Henry.  (Chase and Henry were due on the same day!)

Henry, Max and Chase enjoying the block party.


No comments:

Post a Comment